Dr. Gutierrez is a bilingual English/Spanish clinical psychologist specializing in individual, couples and family therapy, and maintains a private practice in Pasadena and Lancaster, CA. He was born in Matanzas, Cuba and immigrated to the United States at the age of ten and grew up in the Boston area.
With over 20 years experience as a therapist, and as a graduate of Boston University specializing in Counseling/Community Psychology, he is currently serving as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients. Among his areas of expertise are anxiety, adult children of alcoholics, co-dependence, chemical dependency, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder, sexual identity/orientation, sexual addiction. He has also conducted psychological evaluations for immigration for over 60 attorneys and is a qualified medical evaluator (QME) for workers' compensation cases. He has been qualified as an expert witness in Santa Clara County Superior Court in the psychological evaluation of adults and children and chemical dependency issues and serves on the panel of evaluators for the Dept. of Social Services, SSI unit. He has served on a panel of psychologists for the CA State Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation.
In addition to being a prominent therapist, Dr. Gutierrez has presented at national and International conferences and to general audiences speaking on the topics of multicultural counseling, law and ethics for mental health professionals, sexual identity/orientation, and adult children of alcoholics.
Dr. Gutierrez is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. His therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. He integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, he works with individuals to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
Santa Clara University Law School, Doctor of Jurisprudence, 1994
Boston university, Doctor of Education in Counseling/Community Psychology, 1981
Purdue University, M.S. in Ed. in Counseling & College Student Personnel, 1974
Michigan State University, BA in Psychology, 1973
Boston Latin High School, 1969
Licenses & Certifications
Psychologist, Lic. PSY8801
Qualified Medical Evaluator, 109598
CA State Bar 176394 (inactive in good standing)
- Barrister of the Year Award, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2000.
- Le gacy Fellow, AGLBTIC, a division of the American Counseling Association, 2007.
- Joe Norton Award, in recognition of significant contributions to the creation of affirming environments for sexual minority counselors and clients, AGLBTIC, a division of the American Counseling Association, 1999.
- Santa Clara County Chapter American Immigration Lawyers Association Award in recognition for my work as Chair of the California Conference, 1998.
- S.T.E.P.S. Multicultural Outpatient Substance Abuse Program Plaque in recognition of my work as consultant from 1988-1994.
- Santa Clara University Law School, Law Faculty Merit Scholarship, 1991-199 4
- H.E.W., Title VII Fellow in Bilingual Education, 1977-1979.
- Outstanding Commander, US Air Force, ROTC Program, Fall of 1971, Michigan State University; and summer of 1971, Otis Air Force Base, Cape Cod, MA.
- Included in the International Who's Who Among Professionals; Who's Who Among Hispanic Americans; 2000 Notable Men; Who's Who in California; Who's Who Among Human Service Providers; Who's Who of Contemporary Achievement; Who's Who in America; Who's Who in Frontier Science and Technology; Who's Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1990; Outstanding Young Men of America,1987.
- NeNNNNuropsychological Assessment Certificate, UC Berkeley Extension
- Biofeedback Training, Biofeedback Institute of San Francisco
- Intelligence Testing, Boston College
- Train The Trainer Personality Styles System To Enhance Performance
- Certified Personal and Organizational Coach
- Certificate in Mediation
Professional Activities and Memberships
California Psychological Association